Friday 7 March 2014

The Inaugural Hatfield College Award for African Studies Recipient

"To be something, to be himself, and always at one with himself, a man must act as he speaks, must know what course he ought to take, and must follow that course with vigour and persistence" - Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Emile or On Education, 1762.

With the Master of Hatfield College Professor Tim Burt and Senior Hatfield College Staff
 by Kudakwashe Kanhutu 

I was honoured at a dinner on 0 4. 0 3. 2 0 1 4 in one of the constituent colleges of Durham University - Hatfield. It was a night to honour all members of Hatfield College who have won awards for their academic achievements and research interests in the current academic year. The Hatfield College Scholars' Dinner is an annual tradition that has existed for 18 years to date. As the inaugural recipient of the African Studies Award, I got a special mention by the Master of Hatfield College to great applause by my fellow attendees on the night.

The author's name surrounded by titles related to his scholarship interests.
 The Nature of My Scholarship: 

I have come quite a distance from the time when I advocated for military rule as a panacea to the predictable disaster that awaits any country that is governed by incompetent politicians. I am, even now, still very partial to the discipline and efficiency that ensures from military training but; assigning the right tool to the right job has since become the direction which my concerted enquiry into statecraft for the past few years has nudged me towards. I have therefore branched from my initial motivation of investigating the conditions that make for successful military rule, to; conditions under which human security can be attained.

In conversation with another Hatfield Scholar
The Dinner Itself: 

Herein lies the first contradiction; Hatfield College and, indeed, Durham University colleges' formal dinners are very nearly a daily fixture but I have always made it a point not to attend. I find it irreconcilable with who I am, and my constituents on my return to theatre, to be feted in any manner that departs from what is absolutely necessary. I tend to avoid ostentation in favour of what's functional, and, on this count, it seems I am in good company: 

"Dressed in off-the-rack civilian casual – blue tie, button-down shirt, dress slacks – McChrystal is way out of his comfort zone. Paris, as one of his advisers says, is the "most anti-McChrystal city you can imagine." The general hates fancy restaurants, rejecting any place with candles on the tables as too 'Gucci'"  -  The Runaway General; http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-runaway-general-20100622 

It may be mimesis on my part but I am pretty sure I have always felt the same way from my reading into military history such as that of the Spartans. 

In conversation with a Hatfield Scholar (Alumnus)

My Actual Project: 

My work seeks to strip apart the post-colonial African state, hold it to the light then put it back together again. My core interest is understanding all the forces that act to undermine the state and how we can inure the same state against these forces. This is because I am an avowed statist.

Hosted by the Hatfield College Master at the pre-dinner drinks reception.

No comments:

Post a Comment